Wednesday 10 January 2018 Meeting
There was a good turnout for our first meeting of 2018 with 15 members present and 6 apologies.
The evening was split in two parts – the first half being Jeremy Martin entertaining us with “GB OLD AND NEW”
Before we started Jeremy presented the Single Sheet competition cup to Paul Latham-Warde that he won at our December 2017 meeting.
Jeremy started by telling us how as a boy he swopped a marble for a stamp which was the beginning of his 70 years of philately! He showed some remarkable material covering from the 1500s to 2003, including Corsini correspondence, Bishop Marks, a good range of 1d blacks with a couple on cover posted from Salisbury, surface printed, EV11 control blocks, Seahorses, GV1 high values and finished with QE11. Such an amazing breadth of knowledge that we all benefitted from.
The remainder of the evening was members showing a wide range of philatelic material and members’ bourse.
- Trevor BuckellTPO of German East Africa (Tanganyika) and TPO of British Guiana, both railway and river steamer
- Alan WoodNetherland Colonies & Australian Hardy wine stamps + the real thing
- Mike CareyGolf
- Tony Howgrave-GrahamEarly mail from and to CGH
- Brian StandleyThe Great War
- Mike Moody1937 Coronation Camps in London
- Paul Latham-WardeUsed GB High values
Next meeting is Wednesday 21st February 2018 when Alan Wood will be showing material during the first half whilst the second half will be members’ displays and bourse.